What is the best way to report an IDE tools issue
The most preferred and official way to report issues in DevExpress’ products is the Support Center. This is the primary channel where you can get answers to your questions, report bugs and make suggestions. Whenever you want to create a new issue (ask a question, post a bug or a request), they will advise that you look through the currently posted issues. A similar issue may already have been reported, so you’ll find a quick answer.
Also you are welcome to e-mail to Support Services directly. Sending an e-mail to this address is an alternative to using the Support Center. You can e-mail to submit a bug report, request new features or ask any questions related to any DevExpress product.
When reporting an issue it is recommended to provide as much detail as possible, for example:
- record a screencast to illustrate your steps in action. For instance, you can capture it using the free Jing tool from TechSmith.
- provide the diagnostic logs from your IDE. Follow these steps to get to the “Message Log” options page:
1. From the DevExpress menu, select “Options…”.
2. In the tree view on the left, navigate to this folder: “Diagnostics”
3. Select the “Message Log” options page. (note: this page level is Expert, and will only be visible if the Level combo on the lower-left of the Options dialog is set to Expert)
4. Check all check boxes (“Log XXX” options).
5. Restart Visual Studio.
After that try to reproduce your issue using the following steps:
1. Load DXCore if it is not loaded automatically.
2. Load your project.
3. Work in the project until the problem occurs.
4. Shutdown Visual Studio.
Send the newly created logs to Support Services. These logs can be obtained here: %appdata%\Roaming\CodeRush for VS .NET\1.1\Log\*.dxlog
Note, checking those options will decrease performance, so after you collect the logs I would suggest that you disable all “Log XXX” options on the “Message Log” options page.—– Products: all Versions: all VS IDEs: any Updated: Jul/06/2011 ID: T040